Thursday 29 September 2011

Green Desire

I recently came across a brilliant store called Mio, which has a range of beautiful, functional, sustainable products ranging from furniture, through lighting and accessories, and including some fascinating paper forms for surface coverings. And I want most of what they sell!
When I clicked my way through their website, I found their philosophy page, where they explain their principle of Green Desire. They define this as 'when consumers actually crave products that are sustainable and responsible'. And their way of contributing to that cultural shift is by creating 'responsible products that are both beautiful and affordable'.
This notion of Green Desire is one to which I can strongly relate. At times I think that we have stuffed up our planet to such a degree that we're on a one way path to complete self destruction. But I also think that if we have any hope of limiting this self destruction, we need major cultural shifts. These shifts include in our energy use, and in our resource consumption. Consumerism seems such a huge part of the culture of today, and eliminating that desire for more and more goods seems unlikely at best. But maybe changing the type of goods craved is a more reasonable step.

No comments:

Post a Comment